Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 9 - Breathtaking Moments

This morning we woke up, and sprinted out of that dang hotel room with no A/C. We dropped by the lodge for a quick bite before we went to catch the shuttle bus. Half of the South Rim is closed to private vehicles, so the bus is the only way we could tour that end. We only got in trouble by the bus driver one time, and I think that speaks well of our behavior ;) The only thing I can really say is....you have to see it to believe it!! So here are the pictures....


Don't worry guys....No Hunting ;) It's a National Park!

After we finished the tour of the Grand Canyon, we headed East across Arizona. We went through the Hopi Indian Reservation, and I could not believe what I saw. I'm not sure what these people choose for themselves or how important materialistic things are to them, but what I do know is that this place looks like a third world country. There were little shanty houses built with tarps and plywood. No nice vehicles....if there was a vehicle at all! There were no pretty yards with landscaping, no swimming pools, no swingsets, nothing!! We went for miles and miles before we saw a store, and it was a tiny gas station. It is the poorest place I have ever seen in the United States, and i've seen a lot.

Today was full of breathtaking moments...for completely opposite reasons. Funny how things happen...I will remember this day, and these people forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment