Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 5 - Playin' it safe is so overrated ;)

I woke up, finally in Utah, & ready to get out in the jeep. We grabbed a quick bite from Mickey D's, stocked up on water and food, and went to meet Momma & Daddy. We spent the WHOLE day out jeepin' in the canyonlands. Not many places I would rather be :)


So i'm not sure how many of you grasp the whole jeeping concept. It's not like your driving down a dirt road...You're in the middle of nowhere, red rock cliffs surrounding you, and you hope your on the road....because if not, good luck finding your way out. Sometimes the climbs are so steep you can't see the other side where you're supposed to come down....Normal procedure would be to get out, and go check the other side of the climb to actually make sure there's more road. Let's face it though...when has anyone with the last name of Touchton ever been normal? So here we are climbing, climbing, climbing....ok top of the climb...headed down. Front right tire touching rock? check....Back left tire touching rock? check....Other two tires touching anything?...ummmm no & NO!!!!! OH MY GOSH....teetering!! Literally teetering back and forth with a good 10 foot drop on the left side....Have I mentioned I WAS SITTING ON THE LEFT SIDE???!!!! I was having a breakdown on the inside...breathe in, panic, breathe out, tears, panic....but on the outside I was being very very very still. I trust my daddy completely....until he says "HMMM".....Ok, that is SO not what I want to hear at a time like this.
I courageously offer my idea..."SHOULD WE GET OUT?!"
How we were gonna get out? I don't know.
Why that would be a good idea? Not sure I have an answer to that either.
However....If my Daddy was worried....I wanted OUT!
All of a sudden he throws it into reverse, gives it some gas, & thank you Jesus!!!...It backed out & Daddy says "Man, I really didn't think it was gonna back out of that one."...Good to know Daddy. Thanks for saving that bit of encouragement until after that little near death experience.

I know the pictures don't do our adventures justice, but here's a little taste...







After Jeepin' we went to Zax pizza & then headed home to rest up for Utah day 2!



No comments:

Post a Comment